The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes... even if the people in it do. -Andy Warhol

Friday, May 20, 2011

Control.

So, apparently there is a lot more documented research regarding a person's ability to control their dreams than I had expected. I mean, of course I knew that people had explored the idea before but when I got around to actually doing a bit of research myself I was surprised. And although there is no surefire way to teach a person how to have lucid dreams or exactly how to remember them, there are some tricks that people have discovered.

One of the first thing that one would encounter when looking up information about remembering their lucid dreams is the concept of the four "R's". Remember, Record, Repeat, and Realization. Remembering is the first, and often the most challenging step in this process. Lucid dreams happen when a person is in the REM phase of sleep, so if one is capable of processing the dream and storing it in their short term memory they will most likely be able to remember their dream upon awakening. Then the next logical step to ensure that you remember what occurred in your dream would be to write it down. Simple as that.

The next "R" has to deal with making the first two "R's" a habit. According to some studies, the more you are in the practice of remembering and recording your dreams, the easier it will become to not only fall into the lucid dream state but to recall it more accurately. In time, you will be able to realize that you are dreaming while the dream is occurring, which is the fourth "R". After you have mastered all of the four "R's" you have successfully mastered the art of being able to put yourself into a state where you are capable of controlling the dream scene around you.

Whether this whole system works for sure, I don't really know. But I'm completely fascinated with the concept. Without even trying I am able to recognize when I am dreaming and remember it upon awakening, so maybe I will start to record them and practice trying to manipulate the dream scene that I am in... I'll post again to let everyone know how it works out.

3 comments:

  1. This is quite interesting. I may even try this as well. I have the craziest dreams, so it might be nice to remember even more details about them and be able to recognize I am dreaming in order to control my own dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see you translate this process to a photographic series....I am thinking that being a visual learner and artist, you want to decode all this visually as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually started to draw some of the scenes that play out in my dreams... I want to expand my abilities in other mediums, so I think I might use oil paint for some also.

    ReplyDelete