The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes... even if the people in it do. -Andy Warhol

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Purity of Creation.


The University of Delaware was recently fortunate enough to become the new owners of a collection unpublished photographs from the late Andy Warhol. Upon the opening of the university's display of these photos, I found myself being one of a small group of students that were admitted to listen to a lecture regarding the places and events behind them. I found the speaker to be very informative while simultaneously being very enlightening.

The speaker took us around the exhibit and told us pieces of information about each of the photographs and without knowing the speaker not only taught me about the art itself, but also about art in general.

Just as a matter of personal taste, I rather dislike the work of Andy Warhol. I am in no way trying to discredit the art that he has made, but I just don’t find it all that impressive. What does impress me is the fact that Warhol was so amazingly good at conveying his vision. Warhol was an artist in the most pure and fundamental sense of the word. He was a man who possessed great talent and natural ability, but refused to ever compromise his vision in lieu of money. It is clear through the observation of Warhol’s art that at all times he had a clear path in his mind and that he remained steadfast to it regardless of what powerful figure asked him to do otherwise.

It is my belief that in the art world today that there are a great number of people with the gift of artistic abilities that call themselves artists with the sole purpose of reaping a profit from their creations. In my opinion, a true artist is someone who creates what they want to create for no other reason than the fact that they want to see their concept become a reality. Now, I am in no way saying that you have to be poor to be a real artist. I, myself, hope to one day make money from the work that I do… but I can guarantee you that I will never sacrifice my vision in order to do so.

Creation is a gift. Creation is a talent. Creation is pure.

The speaker at the University of Delaware did more than just tell me about the events that inspired a random group of photos. Between the lines of what he was saying he was teaching me the true reason why Warhol is great. Not because he was capable of making art, but because he was a true artist.

3 comments:

  1. so did you get to read The Picture of Dorian Gray last year? Because it sounds like you are channeling Oscar Wilde, one of my artist heroes in this post..........One of my college friends used to curate the collections at the Memorial Art Gallery. Haven't been in a while. Now I want to get back there

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've heard of The Picture of Dorian Gray but I've never read it. Maybe I'll read it after I'm done my current book. You should definitely go visit the gallery though... you'd like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept in mind here. My family is chock full of "artists" of all different kinds, and I like to think that none of them are in it for the money or success. After all, if one wants tangible fortune, the arts are probably one of the most difficult and unlikely ways to get it. It's not impossible by any means, but it sure isn't an easy investment.

    ReplyDelete