The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes... even if the people in it do. -Andy Warhol

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Innovators.



One of the main qualities that the world of art possesses that never ceases to amaze me is the fact that no matter how much exposure to it that I receive, I am constantly coming across things that leave me astounded. Today in particular, however, I stumbled upon something that has left me completely stupefied!

After an attempt at going to sleep, which didn’t work out too well, I decided to get online and waste some of my time on Tumblr. Now, for those of you who have an account you know as well as I that Tumblr, though intended to be a blog, has resulted in a forum for people to reblog other people’s random photos. Despite this, there are still gems to be found on this pseudo-blog site… and in this situation I quite literally mean gems.

This photograph is of a little ‘project’ that Hubert Duprat did involving caddis fly larvae. Though Duprat is given credit as the artist for this undeniably gorgeous display of gold and gemstones, I must say that I feel this credit is wrongfully placed. Yes, Duprat should be noted for the idea of seeing what could happen when given the caddis fly an opportunity to show its natural ability, but the credit for the art most certainly belongs to the larvae. The caddis fly is known to incorporate little pieces of whatever it can get its figurative ‘hands’ on when building their cocoons. When Duprat supplied these caddis larvae with precious materials he was merely giving some tiny little artists the supplies that they needed to more blatantly show that their simple natural processes are beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. you know, if you think about it, this is really a cross species mash-up. There is art in his idea and implementation, and there is art in their craft. Crowdsourcing beauty: very 21st century.

    ReplyDelete