The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes... even if the people in it do. -Andy Warhol

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ink.

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but something that I don't understand is certain people's aversion to tattoos. Years ago tattoos were seen as a sign of rebellion or of a person that was in a 'rough crowd', and some people still seem to believe this. Today tattoos are much more commonplace and main stream. Now, I'm not saying that tattoos are things that everybody should get. They're something that some people are just not interested in, but that does not mean that they should show a bias against people with them. There is an especially big bias against the tattooed members of our society when it comes to the work force. I have a very good friend that has found it to be very difficult getting a new job because of his tattoos, and I think that this discrimination is absurd. There are a host of laws that prevent discrimination by employers, including ones regarding physical appearance, yet managers still discriminate against people who happen to have tattoos. I find this completely ridiculous. There are lots of people, including my friend, that would prove to be very good dedicated workers if given the opportunity.
There is a whole art form dedicated to tattoos, and who is any employer to deny a person a job based on their decision to display art on their bodies? I think that it is beautiful if someone is confident enough in themselves to want to display something that is important to them in ink on their bodies forever. I understand that people sometimes end up getting a tattoo and regretting it later in life, but I think that in that circumstance they should have spent more time considering their decision before it was made. I plan on getting sever tattoos in my lifetime, and I have been planning my first one for about two years now. I formed an idea, drew several sketches of it, then took time to think about it more, and repeated that process several times. I want the tattoo because it is something that I drew so it is a personal creation of mine, and it is symbolic to me. I know that I may have to work a little extra hard to get where I want in life because I've chosen to ink my body, but I'm prepared to do that and I dare any unaccepting employer to say that I won't be able to prove them wrong.

6 comments:

  1. oohhh this is big one. maybe the employers want someone who will follow rules without question. (so maybe not the right job anyway, huh?) Maybe the actual designs represent something to the viewer that makes them uncomfortable, not necessarily the idea of the tattoo itself.
    Back when I was your age, the people that had tattoos WERE rough or sailors. Really. Not true, now, I know, but it was true. Maybe some people just don't care about art, so they don't get the beauty of the marks. Maybe most people are close minded. Maybe......this would be fun to talk about more, cause I have a feeling that not everyone in the class has the same opinion--of tattoos or art either, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me start off by saying I laughed a bit to myself seeing that you wrote about tattoos right after a post named "Impermanence."

    Jokes aside, I personally would never get a tattoo. I don't dislike people who have them, but I just don't like them very much myself in general. I don't really know why. I think it's unfair that people have to wear long sleeves in the summer or just keep searching when it comes to getting a job having tattoos. I think it's just the leftover stereotypes and employers' fears that some customers may be uncomfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.southasianarts.org/ I broadened the search to south asia, not just india????? contemporary india art didn't do well either. You need Morris Library (and maybe an email from your friend in Savannah)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://bit.ly/hJy7UW maybe not what you are needing, but aren't they beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are gorgeous! They all lhave a really cool, distinct texture to them.

    ReplyDelete