The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes... even if the people in it do. -Andy Warhol

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Contribution.


Within our small World Literature class, there are an innumerable number of differences between each of the students. It is a fortunate byproduct of our small class size that allows us to see what each of us, as individuals, bring to the table. In our class I think that I offer a slightly different outlook on the literature that we read because I have more of an interest and background in the arts.
Many students use their knowledge to assess what to think about a writing to get the best possible grade. While that is often a useful skill, I prefer to think into what we are learning a little farther than that. I see the pieces that we read not simply as books or plays, but as actual works of art that the author created. When I think about what we are reading in class I first think about the process behind it that led the author to create what he or she did, even if the piece is not quite my taste. Though I might sometimes seem distracted during a lesson or do not always say my process out loud in class, my mind is always working, turning the topic over and over again; all the while serving as an outlet for some of the other students jokes.

7 comments:

  1. As a fellow classmate I must agree fully with Ms. Deliciously Awkward. I find her words to be very oriented with the fine arts that form her background. While I do not exactly see the turning of the topic inside her head, I believe 100% that she is constantly looking at our literature in every fashion possible. She is a very intelligent woman and I believe her differing view really adds to the diverse atmosphere in which our class resides. Boss Status Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Lindsey says about what she feel her contribution is. She is one of the people who constantly look at the literature as how the people of the time would have viewed it, and not necessarily just if she thought it was good or not. She analyzes what we read in class based on the structure and the art sense, instead of her personal opinion, which she manages to keep out of her analysis. This trait is very useful in English and I congratulate you Lindsey on having the ability to do this with literature that we are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like L's role because I know she will jump first to the connections between the arts that are integral to my appreciation of my books. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the awkward person. She always knows what we are discussing even though I may not. But like Ms. Deliciously Awkward, I too do not express my entire opinion but instead keep it held inside me so I can meditate on my answer. And yes, she is an outlet for some jokes, but just because she's so chill about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still wondering about the big black block under your header. Is something coming? Is it foreboding?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what the black block is! I'm working on getting it to go away.

    ReplyDelete